Gsxr600 Vs. R6 Lies Vs. Truth - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Oil Rag

I agree too. Sure i've rode like a 40 CC scooter before like 12 years ago in HS but never rode a real bike. My friend told me it was easy once you get the hang of it. So when he bought his 04 R1, i bought the guy who sold it to him; his wife's 01 R6.

Sure i was nervous about the shifting, my only hang up, but after a few days i had it down and it was pretty much like second nature. a few more weeks of respecting the bike and reading all i can about leaning, push steering, traction etc etc i feel good on it.

Sure i'm not expert and i don't drag knees nor do i fool myself. But everyday i get more comfie, and i have no qualms anymore about taking it WOT through 2 or 3 gears. Also i've come close to dropping my bike. Putting my foot down on gravel and slipping etc but i'm 6'2" and i've had no problem recovering nor have i ever came close to dropping it cause of something stupid.

R6 is a great bike to start out with, and as long as you know your limits like these other posters have said then you can grow into it just fine.

i've had it 1 month, put 2500 miles on it and can't get enough. I love riding and glad i finally took the leap after thinking about it for about 13 years.

Now about the R1, my boy's R1 has full graves exhaust, 2 more teeth on the back sprocket and power commander set to high and that thing is sick scary fast. Feels like a it just wants to be released from it's cage. Love it. One day, just not today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Bike Polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidrider View Post
The key to being safe on any bike is knowing you control the bike and not the other way around. You can own any bike if your careful. I must say 600's are so fast now you still need to be very careful especially on the street, people do strange things on the road.
Yep. By today's standards, you could go out and buy an older liter bike and have the same power that today's 600's have.

Honestly as far as a 600 for a starter bike, it all totally depends on the person. This topic (what is a good starter bike) has and will be beaten like a dead horse across multiple forum boards. Some people pick up an R1 as their first bike and they're fine, other people pick up a 250 and can't go without crashing every six months.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Bike Polisher

I hate to say it, so far I loved my GSXR 600 way more than my R6 due to reliability. Finish SUCKS on Suzuki, but Yamaha tends to nickle and dime you a bit more.

But if you think one 600 is faster than another, you are probably just trying to compare them on a straight line... but it's the twists that count. GXSR's tend to be nimble but "weaker" and Yamaha's tend to be more confidence inspiring and accelerate out well. Try a Ninja, it's made for straights and Daytona style long NASCAR turns.

Every time I see a person on a "plain" not really unique (unique is good) 1000 I just ask two things. How small? And who you racing?

If you ride only street and say a 600 is too slow... you are effectively complaining that with a 600cc. you have trouble racing little old ladies, station wagons, and teens in spruced up 91 civics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode