New-ish rider looking for some advice! - Yamaha R6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Oil Rag

New-ish rider looking for some advice!

I'll start by apologizing if I posted this in the wrong place... I wasn't 100% sure of where this belonged.

So I'm looking to graduate from my Ninja 250 and move onto a bigger bike. I'm still a noob and I don't really have anyone to guide me through the process of upgrading. I have endless questions and I was hoping I could find some advice here.

Of all the 600's I've looked at and sat on, I absolutely love the R6 the most. I pretty much have my heart set on it. I would just like to know if there is anything I should worry about on the R6 as apposed to the other 600's? I ride my bike almost every day and when I'm riding for fun, I enjoy roads with lots of twists and turns. Is the R6 a good bike for this type of riding?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any and ALL advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by OneWomanWolfPack; 08-18-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Oil Rag

Echooo...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Oil Rag

Damn this place seems pretty inactive... I am new to this forum but not to riding so I'll throw in my two cents.

I, too, started on a 250. The bike I went to after that was an 04 zx6r and it took some adjusting.

When you say you sat on the R6 did you mean the R6-R (supersport) or the R6-S (sport)? There is a HUGE difference between the R6-R (supersport) and the 650 bikes. The 650's are defined as a "sport" model which means they aren't as aggressive as the 600 supersports (R6-R). The R6-S is basically the older model R6 that is updated in some areas but ultimately tuned down so as to keep the power in a favorable range for riders who don't want the insanity of a supersport.

What you should know about the R6 -

1. It's one of the worst bikes to work on. In fact it is THE worst bike that I've ever worked on because of how inaccessible Yamaha makes everything. I had to drop the radiator (not remove it completely though) just to do my spark plugs.

2. The Powerband is a little lax in the low end. By nature. This actually works out well for transitioning riders, but I had to change out my gearing a little bit because it felt like I was riding a 250 right up until I hit 12k RPMs and then the thing takes off like a banshee. This is because the bike is designed to be ridden on race tracks and not in suburban roadways.

If you are more suited for low-mid range power then this might not be the best pic for you (that is, assuming we are talking about the R6-R).

It is very nimble in corners and of the sport bikes I have, I tend to corner better on that bike with the exception of the throttle "dip" between 6-8k rpms. This makes it a little twitchy if you aren't precise and smooth with throttle engagement but it's really only problematic when you are leaned over... then it makes you pucker a little bit.

Longevity: this is my biggest issue with my R6 (07). I am not sure if this will be your problem or not (if you are eyeing a brand new one) but that year of R6 is notorious for having these phantom issues where it dies and doesn't want to start again. I've known of at least 10 other R6 owners who have encountered the same problem and have yet to actually isolate what the problem is.

I love the handling and the design of the R6 but as an owner/mechanic/avid rider I'm not too impressed with some of the other "quirks". I am hoping to resolve these issues so I can go back to riding it though because they really are quite awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Oil Rag

Ah, thanks so much!!!

To answer your question, I believe I was looking at the super sport. The seating was VERY aggressive. Which is sort of what I want. (I think it's time for a big girl bike) I didn't like the way the other bike looked, and I didn't like how upright it's seating was.

Anyways, I was hoping to get a 2008 or newer bike. Used. I've been told that I will go down AGAIN, and although I'm hoping to avoid this, I'd rather be prepared for the worst. I'd hate to drop a brand spanking new R6.

Anyways, thanks so much for the honest reply!!! I really appreciate it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Oil Rag

Just my 2 cents...

I upgraded recently from a 2011 Ninja 250 - similar reasons as to you. Its a big learning curve. Once you start riding the r6 you'll think the 250 is a tricycle compared to the r6. Its not as easy to go around corners at slow speeds - probably due to my inexperience and all all 600+ bikes. I got a 2010 which I believe they improved the low-mid range power. If you're looking at a 2012 R6 I think they increased the ride height by an inch or so. Not a big deal if you're 5'9+ but I'm 5'7 so that would be too much for me.
Anyways, best of luck.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Oil Rag

I thought I should keep this thread updated in hopes someone else might benefit from reading all of this.

Anyways, my friend is selling an R6, and I've decided to buy it. I'm picking it up tomorrow despite a few uncertainties. I'm a little worried I may be biting off more than I can chew, but I'm sure the regret I'll have if I don't upgrade to this bike will outweigh the struggles I'm going to be facing.

I'll be sure to check back in after a few days of riding the bike.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Oil Rag

Had the bike for about a month now and I love it!!!! The only issue I have is with parking. Being as small as I am does hinder me a bit when it comes to manipulating the bike at a standstill, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. No regrets at all. A few people told me I was too small for the bike and that I should get it lowered. Nonsense.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Oil Rag

This forum does seem to a little dead but I thought I would join and chime in. I also just bought an R6, mine is an 03 and it is actually my first bike, I decided to skip the 250. I love it so far and it is good to hear these comments others have.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 01:08 AM
Oil Rag

R6's are the best in their class. IMO. They have awesome handling and has the speed you might be looking for. O8 r6 here. And I'm loving it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Oil Rag

2.5 year rider here.. still a noob by many standards but I absolutely love the R6. I started out on a Ninja 250 like you mentioned, but the R6 was the reason I wanted to ride in the first place. The image of a R6 Raven was burned into my mind the first time I saw it.

Definitely a steep learning curve after transitioning (the R6 is much bigger and heavier than the 250), but the Ninja's a nice set of training wheels before moving up. I did a lot of reading and scared myself straight with stories of newbies going straight to a 600 to start. In retrospect had I not started with a 250 I would've killed myself over pot holes and speed bumps just from a flick in the wrist.

Enjoy your R6! I can't wait till the snow's gone (I'm in Toronto, Canada). A snow storm is going on here as I type this.... so much for the first day of spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode