ear plugs yes no ? - Yamaha R6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Oil Rag

Question ear plugs yes no ?

im goin to be doing track days was wondering should i get earplugs what are the benefites besides its less noise ? whats a good brand to get if it matters i have a full termignoli exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Bike Polisher

Absolutely yes! I cannot stress the importance of ear plugs enough.

You always hear people say "eh, you will get used to it" (usually the old "shade tree mechanics"). But that isnt true. Your ears do not "get used" to anything, you just lose enough hearing that it doesnt bother you anymore.

You can still hear the bike fine with earplugs. The earplugs block out the ambient noise, mostly the wind noise, and some of the bike noise. You can actually hear things on the track better with ear plugs because the screaming bike and raging wind arent overwhelming things.

I took out for a race at the Grand Nationals last year and had forgot my ear plugs...it was my worst race ever. I couldnt concentrate and everything seemed more stressful.

As far as brands, any foam earplug will work. They sell boxes of purple ones at walmart. Or you can do a google search for them, I usually buy mine online from industrial safety supply places.

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #16
Sponsors: SportBike Track Gear - DiSalvo Speed Academy - Bell helmets - KNOX
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Bike Polisher

I don't mind the noise and think it would distract me if I wore them but maybe I will give them a try this year. Probably a good idea to protect the ears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Bike Polisher

Once you ride with them, you will never ride without them...TRUST ME.

They arent a distraction if you install them correctly (reach around your head with your opposite hand and pull your ear back to open the canal). That lets you get them in all the way in and they wont rub on your helmet.

Like I said, they allow you to hear things and concentrate better because they eliminate some of the ambient wind noise and **** like that.

But most importantly, yes...protect your hearing. It NEVER comes back. Like i said, you dont "get used" to loud noises, you just lose your hearing enough that it doesnt bother you anymore. And once it is gone...it is gone.

The fact that some people can ride perfectly comfortable without earplugs...and I cant ride without them, illustrates that point. The people who can ride without them comfortaby have already suffered hearing damage, they just dont realize it.

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #16
Sponsors: SportBike Track Gear - DiSalvo Speed Academy - Bell helmets - KNOX
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 02:51 AM
Trainee Grease Monkey

Chaotic has it nailed. It is a TREMENDOUS benefit. Helps you relax, and focus like you wouldn't believe.
I've tried dozens of different plugs. The best comfortable examples I've found are called Howard Leight brand, Max Life. Green colored foam.
I just did a 2,400 mile trip to Arkansas on my FZ1, and it was very comfortable.

I have many in my truck as well, and hand them out at the track. I've converted many into believers.

***Current garage***
'12 Triumph Daytona 675R
'06 Yamaha FZ1
'04 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Track bike)
'03 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
'01 Suzuki DRZ400S
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Chief Mechanic

Send a message via Yahoo to copatdi
+2 on that! Plugs are cheap and make things more "relaxed" on the track....I never go to the track w/o them.

-2003 Silver R6. R.I.P. 8/2007...lost to a 79yr old lady who thought an R6 would make a good hood ornament.
-2007 R6 - Charcoal
-2007 R6 - Blue (Track Bike)
-2008 Ducati S2R1000 (project/hooligan bike)
-2012 Aprilia RSV4
-2011 Yamaha TTR-110e (bike for the kiddo)
Keep It Rubber Side Down!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Oil Rag

In my case I cannot use them, I hear constantly my heart beat and after a few minutes my ears ache, so I refused them.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 01:38 AM
Trainee Grease Monkey

I have converted a few buds as well. Helps you relax, and focus, as has been said.
It's amazing. Once you get used to wearing them, it's an absolute shock when you ride without them!

***Current garage***
'12 Triumph Daytona 675R
'06 Yamaha FZ1
'04 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Track bike)
'03 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
'01 Suzuki DRZ400S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode