Newbie to the forums been riding my whole life - Yamaha R6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Oil Rag

Garage
Newbie to the forums been riding my whole life

What up. New to theses forums am a member or the other R6 forum!! Have a 99 R6 and she’s my baby!!! I ride to live and live to ride!! All about that drop a gear and disappear life!! I have taken my bike apart and put back together more times than I can count but I love it and got to know her insides very well. Prolly hold the record for carb removal and install time!!! Actually about to split the cases and put in a gen 2 transmission for obvious reasons!!! Trying to get a upper case and build it as mine had a little pit in cylinder number 2 wall about true size of a ball point pen head that’s pretty deep. Used engine restore when I had the head off and also used it in oil once put back together def helped with the blow by but unsure if it helped with the pit. I jus put valve springs on it cause my dad seems to think one was spinning while running causing the valve to to close properly. Not sure if that was the case but replaced them anyway with used springs. But was able to use valve grinding compound and put new seals as well as clean carbon deposits and valves. Want to upgrade and put a gen 2 motor in it but for the cost might as well get me a R1!!! Still tho if anyone’s got a gen 1 motor for cheap let me know!! Or any internal motor parts let me know!!! I’ve had a few bike in the past CBR and GSXR but go ride of gsxr to get cbr and cbr got stolen. Hated life for a season but was a blessing in disguise cause I got my R6 and there’s no comparison in the two!!! Picked her up for 1000 needed a starting circuit relay to run!! Was a stolen recovery so ignition was fucked, but easy fixes. Was a dent in the tank and the fairings were messed up. Since then have fixed tank and fairings and painted it!! I know this is long but I love working on her and like to share with like minded ppl!!! Still trying to get carbs tuned right. Wait on a rebuild kit to get in mail cause the jet kit I got fixed idling issue I had but still runs to rich!! Almost got her perfect tho. I’m gonna go with 152s all the way across and 2.5 turns out to start and I think that will get her!!! Had a muzzy slip on I jus repacked and k&n filter although I may go back to stock after reading some good info on a site!! Use royal purple max cycle 10w-40 with k&n oil filter great stuff but very expensive at 16 a quart but well work it!!! Always in search of better parts to increase performance or jus upgrade/update parts on it!!! Done a lot of other stuff to it to but I could go on forever. One thing I will mention tho is I put a ricks motor sports rectifier on it for a cbr I think and jus took pins out of connectors to put on mine and cut a spliced the negative and positive lead to battery as the rectifier had double wires going to each prolly why it never fails, but spliced it with solder and some really good splices haven’t had a problem since. No burnt connectors or any high resistance in the circuit!! As you can tell I love my baby and love to work on her as well!!! If anyone has any suggestions on how to squeeze more performance out of her or jus good mods by all means let me know!!! So if this is a long rant jus trying to get out there the info along with what I know!! Will say too kick stand switch will cause crank and no spark even tho I thought it would be a no crank cause that’s what I read everywhere and since it’s tied in with neutral and clutch switch!! How do I know try but 2 single plug ECUs for a gen 1. Looking at 200-250 on the low end from eBay!!! Very hard expensive lesson but it was when I first got the bike so!!! Glad to be part of another forum as the other R6 forum is great but nothing like the CBR forums. Not near as many users but still ALOT of great knowledge on there from guys that know there **** for real!!! But I’ll stop now!!! Thanks for reading of you got this far!!! Hope to share some knowledge as well as learn some **** too!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FE2912E3-0C5E-46BD-B502-6319E208BBA6_1559098482995.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1987   Click image for larger version

Name:	17E04AB7-2231-4D72-9FB8-95AA5BC7CBFE_1559098612266.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1991   Click image for larger version

Name:	6A0CCD72-FE26-4B7B-8D8D-394E4CA9D530_1559098662676.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	1993   Click image for larger version

Name:	C3EEF870-BC9C-44EC-B56D-B2890823BF0E_1559098694611.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1995   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC71E40F-F1ED-4AA8-AF62-A7B386E8C0B2_1559098762430.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1997  

Drop a gear and DISAPPEAR!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:04 PM
Bike Polisher

Welcome, nice written. Thanks for sharing something about your riding life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode